The village of Field dates from 1884 when the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached this point in the rockies. It was named after Cyrus W. Field, promoter of the Trans-Atlantic cable, who visited the area. The present site was surveyed in 1904 after the north side of the village was destroyed by an avalanche off Mt. Burgess.
Yoho Park was named as such by Deville and it means "wonder, astonishment" in Cree Indian.
At the time of our stay in Field the weather was superb; hot but with low humidity [one afternoon the temperature reached 320 C in the shade; humidity kept around 25%].
The trails were most often dusty.